Volunteering with search and rescue is a great way to serve the community. SARCOM is a great place for people with interests in radio communications, emergency management, searching for missing persons, or simply helping others. In order to become a member of SARCOM, you must meet the requirements below and successfully complete the application process.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must pass a police background check.
- Must possess a current and valid driver's license.
- Must have an interest in radio communications and providing support to the public during emergencies.
- Must be willing to obtain personal survival equipment over time.
- Must become first aid, CPR, and AED certified.
- Must successfully complete the FEMA ICS 100 and 700 courses.
- Must successfully complete the Marion County Sheriff's Office (MCSO) SAR academy and Oregon State Sheriff's Association (OSSA) SAR certification.
- Possess an amateur radio (ham) license, or express an interest in obtaining a ham license.
Contact us! Introduce yourself and explain why you want to join the team.
- Complete a MCSO volunteer application and supplemental questionnaire and return them to SARCOM.
- Attend the MCSO SAR academy.
- Serve as a member on probation for six months.
- Serve a minimum of 30 hours per year.
- Participate in searches, trainings, and community events.